Monday, May 16, 2011

Reconnected

Tickle me pink!
My wireless internet is now up and running again!

I had been reluctant about trying to locate someone to work on my computer not because I thought I could do it myself, no I'm not that ambitious.
I simply have been too overwhelmed to try to coordinate schedules with someone to work on my computer.
Today, I talked to Daddy about trying to figure out what needed to be done.

He has been knee deep (quite literally) in his own things to fix.
To begin with, the septic tank needed to be replaced (like I said, knee deep), a hot water line leak needed to be fixed, lawn mower, bobcat, tractor, other lawn mower, weed eater, and a few other things I'm sure I missed all decided Momma and Daddy needed a refresher course in patience.

Anyway, today I talked to Daddy about my computer. I explained that the wireless internet indicator light wouldn't come on so I thought there was something wrong with the wireless chip. He sent me home with a few things to check.
According to the computer, the wireless device was working fine. I attempted to argue that it obviously was not, but then I thought maybe it was a good thing. I may not have to tear into the mother board (forgive any misused computer lingo, I'm not that fluent) Perhaps there was simply a problem with the mechanics of the switch.
I tried pushing it with force. No little blue tower light.
I tried pushing with more force. No little blue tower light.
I tried pushing with more force. No little blue tower light.

This went on for several minutes. 

I tried blowing into it like a Nintendo game. No little blue light.

OK, I was out of ideas. I know, the intuitive ideas of a renowned mechanic's daughter are astounding. 

I decided to click on the handy 'Help and Support' tab.
It explained that a switch on the side controlled the wireless internet. Turn it to 'on' to enable wireless internet.
I was about to give up.
Then the next sentence said you may be able to use the function key to also turn the wireless internet on and off.



Function + F2 = Becky's life is back in order.

I still don't know what happened to the switch, so I think I may lose about 0.00001 minutes of sleep tonight over that.


1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you got things up and running. I've missed knowing what's going on with you.
    Ha Ha

    ReplyDelete